Use this short guided meditation script to help you relax the body, quiet the mind, and appreciate the moment. At its best, meditation is a mindful way to slow down, be present, and enjoy the deep moment. The step by step script and guided meditations below are a good start to that kind of mindful experience. These words can be used as a wonderful gift for your audience, clients, friends, or students.
What is meditation?
Meditation means awareness. Meditation is a spiritual technique to focus the mind and to bring awareness to the present moment. It involves short periods of quiet reflection followed by periods of sustained alertness. It is a practice that uses conscious awareness to find calm, peace, and contentment in the present moment. It involves observing or attending to your current mental processes, feelings, reactions, and sensations as well as the objects around you. It’s the focus of attention as the individual is alone in a quiet place with no distractions.
If you are new to meditation, it is helpful to go into a quiet area and follow some basic beginner tips. Pay attention to the sensations in your body, your thoughts, your breath, and your heartbeat. Take time to pause and take the time to witness and/or listen to your sensations.
3-Minute Guided Meditation
This meditation is appropriate for a variety of settings. Speak slowly, softly yet clearly, and pause for 2 to 3 seconds between each sentence. Pauses allow the receiver to go more deeply into a relaxed state. This can be at any time during the day.
- Close your eyes.
- I invite you, when you take your next breath, to simply be more conscious.
- Allow your breath to return you into the present, here and now.
- Breathe through your nose.
- Inhale and nourish yourself.
- Exhale and expel any tension and negative sensation.
- Feel your connection to the floor.
- Lift your chin so the crown of your head is reaching up towards the sky.
- Relax your shoulders down like ice dissolving in a thermal spring.
- Relax your eyes, slacken your jaw, soften your brow, and relax your ears.
- Notice your breath and allow it to bring you into the present moment where you’re safe, carefree and doing something positive.
- Calm your mind.
- Let thoughts go by like leaves drifting in a stream.
- Bring your awareness to your breath.
- Disengage from the past and from the future.
- Enjoy thoroughly this present moment.
- Begin to cultivate a sense of inner peace and calm.
- Feel a safe place in your heart, permeated with love and light.
- Breathe in peace, breathe out love.
*This 3-minute guided meditation script was inspired by Alejandro Chaoul Ph.D. and the M.D. Andersen Cancer Center.